Find Us On Facebook Canadian Association for Retired Persons
Click Here To Return To Frequently Asked Questions

Nowadays, there are numerous living options which are presented to seniors in terms as to where they want to live as they age. As these options are of a very personal nature, and each living option encompasses so much information to be shared, we encourage you to contact us so that we can discuss with you each option to ensure that you have as much information as possible to make your choice.

If I choose to become a tenant, can I request disability accommodations to be made to my home?

According to the Disability Accommodation Policy Procedure, the Ontario Human Rights Code guarantees everyone the right to equal treatment with respect to the occupancy of rental housing without discrimination based on disability.  Where a tenant requires accommodation as a result of his or her disability, a landlord has the duty to take reasonable steps to accommodate the person’s disability up to the point of undue hardship, as defined by the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Policy and guidelines on disability and the duty to accommodate.

What if I am afraid of living alone or afraid of being lonely?

Fear of living alone, being lonely or having to eat alone every day is a very common concern for seniors.  As a result of these concerns or fears, the Region of Halton is offering a new Home Share Program.

This program offers companionship, safety and help around the house.  It allows you to stay in your community. Halton Housing will even help assist with screening applicants, matching and providing monitoring services and follow-up service.  The individual living in sharing your home pays a reduced accommodation fee in exchange for services in your home.

For more information on the Halton HomeShare Program, contact Halton Housing at 1-877-813-3363   or    Burlington Age Friendly Council at 289-348-1503.

Once I decide where I want to live, what next?

Should I make modifications to my home to make it safer and more comfortable?

What modifications do I make and who do I count on to modify my home?

Certified Aging In Place Specialists (CAPS) have been professionally trained to :

What is a Certified Aging in Place Specialist?
(Click Here To Find Out)